Sunday, January 2, 2011

Update: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Some of you may remember that I wrestled with the idea of going back to work last summer in this post. To make a long story short, I went back to work full time the week of Halloween. And while I am getting used to not having as many hours with Malone or to get things done in a day, it was absolutely 100% the right decision.

I was able to start full time from home with the company I was already working with. It's a great company to work for, the work is interesting, and the employees are treated well. It is a challenge to remain focused and on task while working from home, but for the most part I've been able to really separate home life and work life.

Malone is enrolled at daycare center that I am thrilled about. I'm not going to lie, his transition was really rough and it took about 3 weeks for him to really settle in there. His "school" (that's what we call it) went above and beyond to facilitate his transition including bringing in an extra teacher into his room in case he needed to go for a walk outside (which was about the only thing that he didn't freak out about).

In the earliest days of his transition, he carried around his lovey (a cat) and a book that had a picture of a mom and little boy (that kind of looked like us). Now, he wakes up in the morning and asks to go to school. It's amazing how resilient kids really are.

There are times I miss my SHAM days. I miss the activities Malone and I attended during the week. I miss my SHAM friends- it's harder to get together with them now. But, the extra money is nice and we've fallen into a great routine.

I made the right decision and am really lucky that I was able to get a job at the company I wanted to work for.

No comments:

Post a Comment