Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dinner- a shift.

I grew up in Northern Illinois where lunch is called dinner and dinner is called supper. Dinner was eaten as close to noon as humanely possible and supper was served at 5:00 pm on the dot.

Then I moved to out east where dinner became lunch or brunch and I found myself eating it as late as 2:00 pm. Supper became dinner and in my early married days we found ourselves starting to cook it somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00 pm. When we had plans to go out with friends, we'd often meet at their home for appetizers/snacks around 8:30 pm and then go to eat somewhere after 9:00 pm. This was lovely, it worked for us. My Nana who lives in the midwest could not wrap her head around this. "Don't you get hungry? How can you go to sleep on such a full tummy?" she'd say.

Then we had a baby.

And said baby aged into this little being who is interested in food.

Now we eat dinner as a family at 5:00 pm.

On the dot.

No comments:

Post a Comment